Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Vocalization

One of the most fascinating things about MJ's new found verbage is that I'm gaining more insight into what goes on in her little noggin.  I have often wondered what she's thinking, what she's trying to figure out, but only recently has this become a reality.

Her stream of consciousness is most noticeable during storytime.  And this is the part I find most surprising, because I always thought she was more in the moment than she actually is.  In the middle of a Curious George story ("Joaj") she will bust out with something about her day, like

"Katie bye-bye, home" which I think is something along the lines of "I said bye-bye to Katie before I left for home."  Despite the fact that this happened 4 hours early and was seemingly an uneventful moment.

Or something that happened a week ago.  "No bite Lolo".  Which references a moment a week ago when another little girl grabbed her cheek.  Her expressons are never quite accurate, but (only because I get to spend so much more time with her) her intention is usually discernible. 

I just never before realized the random moments she was thinking about during storytime.  I really thought she was thinking about George the monkey.  Or the wall she was staring at.  I didn't realize she was piecing together moments of her day and week that are still on her mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment