Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Early onset terrible twos

Our first verifiable temper tantrum. We've had two others, while at home, with no witnesses. But yesterday, while searching for a toybox at Ikea, I dared take MJ's baby kong away. While I thank the Cheerio gods for inventing such a portable snack, and the baby kong gods for inventing a way to let her snack whilst at Ikea, she was still managing to get Cheerios in every particle board crack possible. So I took it away, and she started flailing on the ground. This elicited snickers from passersby at first, and it was funny to see such a determined little human. But it just escalated. Oy.

I am not ready for this. I know that temper tantrums come hand in hand with toddlerhood, but I thought that was the 2-year-old variety of toddlerhood. This time grandma was present to verify that the flailing, inconsolable child I call mine was indeed having a temper tantrum. I spent some time googling last night. The danger-age is 1-4, so we're officially in tantrum territory.

So yep, the Moms is in town. I'm lucky she puts up with me, even though she kind of drives me nuts. I can tell I kind of drive her nuts, too. This is my own future. Right now, when MJ drives me nuts, I can blame it on the age, the maturity level, etc. But in the end, even when we're both full grown adults, we will still drive each other nuts. Kind of nuts, if we're lucky, and full-blown-never-speak-except-for-holidays if we're not so lucky. Like my daughter, I am something of a drama queen, imagining the worst just because my child has a temper tantrum. Are we in for a prolonged toddlerhood, or are we just getting it out of the way early?

2 comments:

  1. Dropping by through Life In Fast Forward.

    I have a 30 month old. Her "terrible twos" started around nine months. I just tried to think of her as seriously advanced, haha. In all honesty, she's got one heck of an independent streak, which we love but have to guide. This week she's been pretty feisty again, but she's mostly quite compliant, especially because she knows it's "do what you're asked or Mama will do it for you." (Did you hear someone wailing, "No Mama do it for you!" That would be my daughter.) It really doesn't last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always nice to know I'm not the only one. And even nicer to know there is an end. Thanks for swinging by!

    ReplyDelete